stashdash2015

stashdash2015

Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'm starting a new project....Marty Hillsgrove and Kaffe Fasset Inspired

I'm so excited to be starting a new project and I hope this one will go quickly since I'm planning to make a small ~25 x 43 inch quilt from Marty's shirts he dropped off a couple of weeks ago.

These aren't just any ordinary shirts of course, but the high quality ones made in the UK and USA. Deconstruction, ironing and calculating has begun! The theme is going to be miter squares from the stripped shirts as described by Kaffe in his "Passionate Patchwork book". I'll add the plain and checked shirts as squares. Can I have this finished in 4 weeks? That would be a record for me.

The pile of nicely deconstructed shirts is growing....





here's Marty's and they are wonderful fabrics to work with, soft and extremely fine! Thank-you for the donation.

and here are the latest thrifstore additions
strips all ready to be cut into triangles, I finally figured out how this companion ruler works and what all those numbers mean.
the first batch of squares and triangles....looking forward to a lot of sewing and seed starting this weekend.

1 comment:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Petra. I'm all for shirts, especially men's shirts. I think they make up a good part of my fabric stash! It will be interesting to see what you do with them--so many possibilities!
best, nadia